Sunday, April 18, 2010

Light as Air

image via explodingclouds @ tumblr

If you had told me four months ago that the year 2010 would fly by without me even batting an eyelid, I honestly would not have believed you. It never has in the past. But strangely the beginning of this year has come and gone with the speed of a whirlwind and we're now already drawing towards the end of April. In the blink of an eye, the weather has cooled down and I've gone from browsing floaty summer dresses to lusting after knitted scarves and ruched suede boots... Where did all the days go?

I remember for the longest time as a child all I wanted to do was to grow up, as quickly as possible. I would spend many an afternoon running around with my pretend plastic stethoscope, attaching IV drips to save the lives of my teddy bear 'patients'. To me, that was the most heroic and amazing thing anyone could do and throughout the years, I realised more than ever that I wanted to work in a profession that helped others. Here I am over two decades later, living my childhood dream and loving every second of it. However, it's on days like today that I can't help but think how true the saying "Time flies when you're having fun" is... and how precious every second, every minute, every hour of the day is. It could be the difference between someone's life and death, happiness and grief, success and failure...

I guess on a personal level I have learnt many things myself in these four months of venturing into the big wide world on my own and meeting people from all walks of life. It seems time will stop for no-one despite there being too many things that we all need to appreciate and enjoy in life. Aside from family and friends, my recent travels and experiences have led me to discover the beauty of falling asleep to the sound of crashing waves on the deck, napping in meadows under blue skies and taking spur of the moment snaps on my camera; local farmers markets, Sunday morning breakfasts on strawberry farms, the deep missing of my mother's home-made meals and last but not least, the ability to end every day by retreating into the safe cocoon that is my own bed back home. Simple, precious, little things that make me smile.


0 kisses ♥:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message!